Cried all night ’til there was nothin’ more
What use am I as a heap on the floor?
Human Devotion but its just no good
Taking it hard just like you know I would
“Sentimental Heart” by She and Him
Those of you with a keen eye might notice that these birds are wingless. No, it’s not a crazy genetically modified super creature, it is the result of an impatient cook. If you have a smoker you should try this. If you don’t have a smoker, you should buy one.
2 (4 lb.) whole chickens
2 cans of beer, rinsed with soap and water
1. Open beers and drink half of the beer from each can, add one additional hole to the top of the can
2. Remove neck and giblets, rinse the bird with water and pat dry with paper towel
3. Trim fat from bird, and tuck wings so they don’t burn during cooking
4. Liberally sprinkle the rub on the inside and the outside of the bird
5. Place chicken cavity on top of beer as far possible, position legs to form a tripod
6. Prepare smoker by using the Minion method (except only fill the smoker ½ way with unlit charcoal), heat to 225-250 F, add mild smoke wood (like apple, cherry, or oak)
7. Smoke chickens for 3 ½- 4 hours, until it reaches 160 F in the breast
8. Remove from beer can and serve